1906: All India Muslim League was founded.
1930: Mohammad Iqbal gave the idea and concept about a separate homeland for Muslim.
1940: Lahore Resolution
Mohammad Ali Jinnah, leader of the Muslim League, formally endorsed the”Lahore Resolution” calling for the creation of an independent state in regions where Muslims constituted a majority.
- Independence and the Partition of the subcontinent.
- Karachi was declared as the Capital of Pakistan.
- Pakistan became member of United Nations Organization.
- Death of Mohammad Ali Jinnah.
- Pakistan first coin was issued.
- Fighting between Pakistan and India over Kashmir.
1949: UN sponsors cease-fire in Kashmir.
1950: Pakistan became one of the very few countries to recognise Peoples Republic of China.
- Pakistan Standard Time became effective at mid-night.
- Pakistan’s first Prime Minister, Liaqat Ali Khan was assassinated.
- Pakistan elected as member of the Security Council of United Nations Organization.
1954: Pakistan National Anthem was officially adopted as Pakistan’s national anthem in August 1954, written by Hafiz Jallundhari.
1958: Military government of General Ayub Khan.
1960: Ayub Khan becomes first elected president.
1964: Pakistan’s first Television Station set up at Lahore (PTV)
1965: 17-day India-Pakistan War. UN cease-fire declared.
1969: General Yahya Khan takes over the leadership of Pakistan and imposes martial law.
1971: War between Pakistan and India leading to succession of East Pakistan and establishment of Bangladesh.
1973: Constitution is Adopted.
- Pakistan governed by Zulfiqar Ali Bhutto.
- General Zia-ul-Haq takes over government of Pakistan
- Pakistan’s Constitution is Suspended
1977-85: Martial Law
1979: Zulfiqar Ali Bhutto is hanged on disputed conviction for conspiring to commit political murder.
- Non-party elections held. Mohammad Khan Junejo comes in as prime ministerNon-party elections held. Mohammad Khan Junejo comes in as prime minister
- Pakistan’s Constitution is restored with ammendments
- December 30, 1985 Martial Law is lifted
- Zia killed in plane crash. General elections held
- Pakistan People’s Party returned to power with Benazir Bhutto as Prime Minister (her party win 39% of vote in general election)
- Ghulam Ishaq Khan becomes president
1989: Pakistan joins Commonwealth
- Ghulam Mustafa Jatoi is named as caretaker prime minister.
- Nawaz Sharif elected as Prime Minister
1991:Privatization and economic deregulation program launched.
- Pakistan elected to Security Council.’
- Pakistan wins Cricket World Cup held in Australia and NewZealand.
- Nawaz Sharif (Prime Minister) and Ghulam Ishaq Khan (President) resign
- Benazir elected as Prime Minister for the second time
- Farooq Leghari elected as President
1996: Benazir’s government dismissed by President Farooq Leghari
- Elections. Nawaz Sharif elected as the Prime Minister
- President Farooq Leghari resigns
1998: Pakistan Explodes Five Nuclear Devices
1999: Gen. Pervez Musharraf takes over the government of Pakistan